A. Advanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and other molecular imaging techniques in Neurological Diseases
1. Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases – Volumetric MRI, functional MRI, MR perfusion (Arterial Spin Labeling), susceptibility-weighted imaging (SWI) and MR spectroscopy
2. Brain trauma – Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) in head trauma
3. Brain tumors - surrogate markers in anticancer drug trials using Dynamic Contrast Enhanced (DCE) MR perfusion, MR spectroscopy and Chemical Exchange Saturation Transfer (CEST)
4. Epilepsy- Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography (PET/CT) and Volumetric MRI
5. Neuroeconomics – functional MRI
B. Stroke and Cardiovascular imaging
1. Stroke imaging – MR/CT perfusion imaging in evaluation of stroke, MRA/CTA in aneurysm screening and intracranial atherosclerosis, DTI in hemorrhagic stroke
2. Carotid plaque characterization- MRI
3. Evaluation of vascular risk factors using CT- calcium score and coronary CTA
4. Stem cell transplant imaging in Chronic Ischemic Stroke
C. Head and Neck Imaging
Multi-modality imaging in nasopharyngeal carcinoma- PET-CT and MRI perfusion/diffusion
Mak HKF, Lai SW, Qian W, Xu S, Tong E, Vance ML, Oldfield E, Jane J Jr., Sheehan J, Yau KKW, Wintermark M. Effective time window in reducing pituitary adenoma size by Gamma Knife Radiosurgery. Pituitary 2015 (in press).
Chiu PW1, Mak HKF 1, *, Chan Y, Chan T, Ho KM. Hippocampal MR Spectroscopic abnormalities in a cohort of syphilitic patients with HIV and Neurosyphilis infection. American Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging 2015;5(1):83-94..
Mak HKF, Qian W, Ng KS, Chan Q, Song YQ, Chu LW, Yau KKW. Combination of MRI hippocampal volumetry and Arterial Spin Labeling MR perfusion at 3-tesla improves the efficacy in discriminating Alzheimer’s disease from cognitively normal elderly adults. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 2014; 41(3): 749-758.
Chiu PW, Mak HKF*, Yau KKW, Chan Q, Chang RCC, Chu LW. Metabolic changes in the anterior and posterior cingulate cortices of the normal aging brain: Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy study at 3-tesla. AGE 2014; 36: 251-264.
Chu JP, Mak HKF*, Yau KKW, Zhang L, Tsang J, Chan Q, Leung KK. A pilot study on correlation of MR perfusion (Ktrans) and diffusion (apparent diffusion coefficient) parameters in brain tumors at 3Tesla. Cancer Imaging 2012; 12:1-6.
Mak HKF*, Yau KKW, Khong PL, et al. Hypodensity of >1/3 Middle Cerebral Artery versus Alberta Stroke Programme Early CT Score (ASPECTS). Stroke 2003; 34: 1194-1196.