A. Advanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and other molecular imaging techniques in Neurological Diseases
1. Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases – Volumetric MRI, functional MRI, MR perfusion (Arterial Spin Labeling), susceptibility-weighted imaging (SWI) and MR spectroscopy
2. Brain trauma – Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) in head trauma
3. Brain tumors - surrogate markers in anticancer drug trials using Dynamic Contrast Enhanced (DCE) MR perfusion, MR spectroscopy and Chemical Exchange Saturation Transfer (CEST)
4. Epilepsy- Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography (PET/CT) and Volumetric MRI
5. Neuroeconomics – functional MRI
B. Stroke and Cardiovascular imaging
1. Stroke imaging – MR/CT perfusion imaging in evaluation of stroke, MRA/CTA in aneurysm screening and intracranial atherosclerosis, DTI in hemorrhagic stroke
2. Carotid plaque characterization- MRI
3. Evaluation of vascular risk factors using CT- calcium score and coronary CTA
4. Stem cell transplant imaging in Chronic Ischemic Stroke
C. Head and Neck Imaging
Multi-modality imaging in nasopharyngeal carcinoma- PET-CT and MRI perfusion/diffusion
Lau KK, Li L, Lovelock CE, Zamboni G, Chan TT, Chiang MF, Lo KT, Küker W, Mak HKF, Rothwell Peter M. Clinical correlates, prognostic implications and ethnic differences of perivascular spaces in TIA and ischaemic stroke. Stroke. 2017; 48(6): 1470-1477.
Mak HKF, Lai SW, Qian W, Xu S, Tong E, Vance ML, Oldfield E, Jane J Jr., Sheehan J, Yau KKW, Wintermark M. Effective time window in reducing pituitary adenoma size by Gamma Knife Radiosurgery. Pituitary, 2015 Aug;18(4):509-17.
Chiu PW1, Mak HKF 1, *, Chan Y, Chan T, Ho KM. Hippocampal MR Spectroscopic abnormalities in a cohort of syphilitic patients with HIV and Neurosyphilis infection. American Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging 2015;5(1):83-94..
Mak HKF, Qian W, Ng KS, Chan Q, Song YQ, Chu LW, Yau KKW. Combination of MRI hippocampal volumetry and Arterial Spin Labeling MR perfusion at 3-tesla improves the efficacy in discriminating Alzheimer’s disease from cognitively normal elderly adults. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 2014; 41(3): 749-758.
Chiu PW, Mak HKF*, Yau KKW, Chan Q, Chang RCC, Chu LW. Metabolic changes in the anterior and posterior cingulate cortices of the normal aging brain: Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy study at 3-tesla. AGE 2014; 36: 251-264.
Chu JP, Mak HKF*, Yau KKW, Zhang L, Tsang J, Chan Q, Leung KK. A pilot study on correlation of MR perfusion (Ktrans) and diffusion (apparent diffusion coefficient) parameters in brain tumors at 3Tesla. Cancer Imaging 2012; 12:1-6.
Mak HKF*, Yau KKW, Khong PL, et al. Hypodensity of >1/3 Middle Cerebral Artery versus Alberta Stroke Programme Early CT Score (ASPECTS). Stroke 2003; 34: 1194-1196.