Gary Kui Kai Lau（劉巨基）
Dr Lau is a clinician-scientist with a strong focus in stroke and cerebral small vessel disease research. He has published ~90 research articles or book chapters relating to stroke, including in reputable journals such as Lancet Neurology, JAMA Neurology, European Heart Journal, Neurology and Stroke. He currently leads the Stroke Research and Prevention Group (stroke.hku.hk), is the Convenor of the Hong Kong Stroke Consortium and is the Principal Investigator / Co-Principal Investigator of four prospective stroke registries in different regions of Hong Kong. He helped pioneer the WeRISE programme (we-rise.hku.hk), which aims to empower stroke patients and their caregivers via a variety of interventions. This programme has been widely advocated across Hong Kong and is currently recommended by the Hospital Authority of Hong Kong.
- Lau KK, Li L, Schulz U, Simoni M, Chan KH, Ho SL, Cheung RTF, Kuker W, Mak HKF, Rothwell PM. Total Small Vessel Disease Score and risk of recurrent stroke – validation in two large cohorts. Neurology 2017; 88: 2260-2267.
- Lau KK, Lovelock CE, Li L, Simoni M, Gutnikov S, Kuker W, Mak HKF, Rothwell PM. Antiplatelet treatment after TIA and ischaemic stroke in patients with cerebral microbleeds in two large cohorts and an updated systematic review. Stroke 2018; 40(6):1434-1442.
- Lau KK, Li L, Simoni M, Mehta Z, Kuker W, Rothwell PM. Long-term premorbid blood pressure and cerebral small vessel disease burden on imaging in TIA and ischaemic stroke: population-based study. Stroke 2018; 49(9): 2053-2060.
- Lau KK, Li L, Lovelock CE, Zamboni G, Chan TT, Chiang MF, Lo KT, Kuker W, Mak HKF, Rothwell PM. Clinical correlates, ethnic differences and prognostic implications of perivascular spaces in TIA and ischaemic stroke. Stroke 2017; 48:1470-1477.
- Lau KK, Wong YK, Teo KC, Chang RSK, Tse MY, Hoi CP, Chan CY, Chan OL, Cheung RHK, Wong EKM, Kwan JSK, Hui ES, Mak HKF. Long-term prognostic implications of cerebral microbleeds in Chinese with ischaemic stroke. Journal of American Heart Association 2017; 7;6(12). pii: e007360.
- Lau KK, Wong YK, Chan YH, Teo KC, Chan KH, Li LSW, Cheung RTF, Siu CW, Ho SL and Tse HF. Visit-to-visit blood pressure variability as a prognostic marker in patients with cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases – relationships and comparisons with vascular markers of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 2014; 235(1): 230-5.
- Lau KK, Wong YK, Chang RSK, Teo KC, Hon SFK, Chan KH, Wat KL, Cheung RTF, Li LSW, Siu CW, Ho SL and Tse HF. Visit-to-visit systolic blood pressure variability predicts all-cause and cardiovascular mortality after lacunar infarct. European Journal of Neurology 2014; 21(2): 319-25.
- Lau KK, Wong YK, Chan YH, Li Oi, Chan KH, Lee P, Yuen P, Wong YK, Tong S, Wong D, Cheung RTF, Siu CW, Ho SL, Tse HF. Mediterranean-style diet is associated with reduced blood pressure variability and subsequent stroke risk in patients with coronary artery disease. American Journal of Hypertension 2015; 28(4): 501-507.
- Lau KK, Wong YK, Teo KC, Chang RSK, Chan KH, Hon SFK, Wat KL, Cheung RTF, Li LSW, Siu CW and Tse HF. Long-term prognostic implications of visit-to-visit blood pressure variability in patients with ischemic stroke. American Journal of Hypertension 2014; 27(12): 1486-94.
- Lau KK, Wong YK, Chan YH, Yiu KH, Teo KC, Li LS, Ho SL, Chan KH, Siu CW and Tse HF. Prognostic implications of surrogate markers of atherosclerosis in low to intermediate risk patients with type 2 diabetes. Cardiovascular Diabetology 2012; 11: 101.