Dr Cherny is Assistant Professor of Psychiatry. He received his PhD in psychology from the University of Colorado in 1995. In 1996 he was appointed Lecturer in Statistical Genetics at the Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, where he was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 1999. In late 1999, he moved to the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, where he assumed the position of Head of Statistical Genetics, retaining an Honorary Senior Lecturer position at KCL. He is an active member of the Behavior Genetics Association, having served as Member-at-large and Treasurer of the Association. He has been an Associate Editor of the journal *Behavior Genetics* since 1997 and is a member of the Advisory Board of the *Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry*.
Dr Cherny's research interests in psychology include the genetics of cognitive abilities (including reading disabilities), personality and temperament, and substance abuse. His methodological work includes the development of statistical tools and their application to the genetic dissection and mapping of qualitative and quantitative traits.
- Guo Y., Baum L. W., Sham P. C., Wong V., Ng P. W., Lui C. H. T., Sin NC, Tsoi TH, Tang, CS, Kwan, JS, Yip, BH, Xiao SM, Thomas GN, Lau YL, Yang W, Cherny SS, Kwan P. (2012) Two-stage genome-wide association study identifies variants in CAMSAP1L1 as susceptibility loci for epilepsy in chinese. Human Molecular Genetics, 21(5), 1184-1189. (pdf)
- So, H.C., Fong, P. Y., Chen, R. Y. L., Hui, T. C. K., Ng, M. Y. M., Cherny, S. S., Mak, W. W. M., Cheung, E. F. C., Chan, R. C. K., Chen, E. Y. H., Li, T., & Sham, P. C., (2009). Identification of neuroglycan C and interacting partners as potential susceptibility genes for schizophrenia in a Southern Chinese population. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 153B (1):103-13. (pdf)
- Kwan, J. S. H., Cherny, S. S., Kung, A. W. C., & Sham, P. C., (2009). Novel sib pair selection strategy increases power in quantitative association analysis.Behavior Genetics, 39(5), 571-579. (pdf)
- Cheung, B. M. Y., Ong, K. L., Cherny, S. S., Sham, P. C., Tso, A. W. K., and Lam, K. S. L. (2009). Diabetes prevalence and therapeutic target achievement in the United States, 1999-2006. The American Journal of Medicine, 122(5): 243-253. (pdf)
- Brocklebank, D., Gayan, J., Andresen, J. M., Roberts, S. A., The International-Venezuela Collaborative Research Group2, Young, A. B, Snodgrass, S. R., Penney, J. B., Ramos-Arroyo, M. A., Cha, J. J., Rosas, H. D., Hersch, S. M., Feigin, A., Cherny, S. S., Wexler, N. S., Housman, D. E., and Cardon, L. R. (2008). Repeat instability in the 27-39 CAG range of the HD gene in the Venezuelan kindreds: Counseling implications. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 150B (3):425-429. (pdf)
- Yeung, J. M. Y., Sham, P. C., Chan, A. S. W., and Cherny, S. S. (2008). OpenADAM: an open source genome-wide association data management system for Affymetrix SNP arrays. BMC Genomics, 9, 636. (pdf)
- Gayan, J., Brocklebank, D., Andresen, J. M., Alkorta-Aranburu, G., The US-Venezuela Collaborative Research Group2, Cader, M. Z., Roberts, S. A., Cherny, S. S., Wexler, N. S., Cardon, L. R., and Housman, D. E. (2008). Genomewide linkage scan reveals novel loci modifying age of onset of Huntington's disease in the Venezuelan HD kindreds. Genetic Epidemiology, 32, 445-453. (pdf)